In 1990, Srinakharinwirot University, Southern Campus, the former name of present Thaksin University, offered a bachelor degree program in Economics (B.Ec.), the first economic program ever offered in higher an educational institution in Southern Thailand. Meanwhile, a 2-year continuing program leading to a Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A) majoring in Accountancy and Marketing has been offered by the Department of Business Administration; all courses are under the responsibility of the Department of Business Administration and the Department of Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences. These academic programs have been taught in conjunction with and participation from various other faculties such as Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Education and Faculty of Physical Education. At the initial phase, the program has recruited three lecturers in economics and two lecturers in business administration to handle the teaching and learning activities of the program. In addition, visiting lecturers from Srinakharinwirot University Prasarnmit, Prince of Songkhla University, Chulalongkorn University, Thammasat University as well as personnel from the private and public sectors have been invited to teach the courses.
Later on November 1, 1996, Southern University was upgraded and renamed as Thaksin University. With the change of the university’s status, former Department of Business Administration and Department of Economics have been merged to become a single entitle called the Department of Economics and Business Administration under the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. Full approval of the establishment of the department was endorsed by the University Council Meeting No. 5/ 2546 on September 20, 2003 making the Department as a unit within the Thaksin University. At present the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration offers four undergraduate programs: Bachelor of Economics (B.Ec.), Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) in Accountancy, Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Management, and Retail Management. In addition, the faculty offers a graduate program in Master of Business Administration in Business Management.
Currently, the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration employs a total 41 personnel, i.e. 31 lecturers and 10 support staff.
The Faculty of Economics and Administration is an outstanding faculty in creating professional economists and business managers with intellectual and moral quality in the participation in the society and the AEC.
- To produce desirable graduates in Economics and Business Administration, maintain the identity of the university by focusing on the quality of graduates who are responsible, well-rounded and hard-working and possess practical experience.
- To produce quality research in Economics and Business Administration in response to the needs of the community and society
- To engage in the transfer of knowledge and provide academic services to develop and strengthen the community and society
- To promote and support cultural maintenance activities
- To promote and support personnel development in the faculty for academic progress, job advancement and happy work atmosphere
- To promote and support teaching and learning activities, students and staff development affairs and effective entry into the ASEAN Economic Community